To the rescue…

My sister’s been having a clear out which ended up being great news for me.

I can’t remember how many years ago it was, but she started to do patchwork at a class which resulted in a fabulous first quilt. She was very enthusiastic about starting another one so we went to the fabric shop together to choose lots of blues for her solo adventure. The pattern had already been chosen, as had the method of construction. It was going to be a Trip Around the World quilt made using the tube method. All went well initially but her enthusiasm soon waned and that was the last I heard of any quilt progress. Unfortunately it had made its way into the cupboard to be forgotten. Every now and again, I’d ask her when she was going to get the quilt bits out of the bag and have another go. She kept saying it would get done one day. It didn’t. Eventually, I offered to finish it for her. Those fabrics were pricey and far too good to just sit in a cupboard. I was convinced she’d thrown it all in the bin! However, I was so pleased when she handed me the bag just after Christmas.

There were lots of bits.

1

2

Some tubes were already split, some were still stitched together. There was a pile of uncut fabric plus three pieced rectangles. The dark photos were all taken in poor electric light by the way 😦

3

The top two rectangles are exactly the same if one is rotated 180 degrees. The bottom one is completely different in both size and colour. I couldn’t make head nor tail of the pattern so I ditched it. Then it was just a case of solving the puzzle of all the bits. The good thing was that my sister had pressed all the seams correctly and her piecing was perfect so far.

4

I eventually got to here…

5

…but there was still loads of fabric left so I joined more strips and made it wider.

6I chose a white on white fabric for the backing and binding…

7

…and kept the quilting simple.

8

Not a brilliant photo but you’ll get the idea. It turned out to be a good sized single to flop over the sides of the bed or it would make a nice double topper.

9

My sister loves it but she no longer has a colour scheme in any room to match. So it’s mine! That’s the good news 🙂 I’ve got a single bedroom with white walls and it works a treat in there. However, I couldn’t stop there because there was still plenty of fabric left.

10 I made a quilted pillow sham.

11

I should have made more effort with the photography but here’s the finish!
12

I think it would have been so much quicker to start this one from scratch but my sister had spent a lot of time cutting and piecing and I had loads of fun sorting out the puzzle.

Have you ever finished something that someone else had started? How did it turn out?

It’s only taken two months!

Good evening,

I’m trying to catch up on some posts that should have been shared with you ages ago. This one could have been published two months back if I’d had some free time. Life gets in the way of blogging sometimes doesn’t it?

Anyway, a dear friend of mine had a birthday in May. She is the type of person who is always so incredibly busy, making and doing and caring for everyone else, that she rarely makes anything for herself. At times I think her brain is wired in a way which means she doesn’t even think about herself. She’s also been having a tidy up of her crafty goodies and passed some of them onto me. Well, it was about time she had a nice present and as it was her birthday as well, she was doubly deserving.

I’d made a storm at sea block for Esther as part of a recent block swap (see previous post) and decided to make a different part of that block as a cushion front for my friend. Here’s what it looks like.

IMG_20150509_165637

I know I’m going to make a lot more of these blocks. They are so striking and I love all the spikey bits. It’s amazing how much enjoyment you can get from making one project, especially when it is for a gift. I kept the quilting very simple so as not to compete with the patchwork design, using variegated thread which has quite a bit of lustre, almost metallic.

IMG_20150628_095905

You’ve probably guessed there was a lot of starting and stopping of the machine when quilting around each of the shapes. The quilting alone took a whole day to complete but I enjoyed every minute.

IMG_20150509_165251289

I decided to experiment and didn’t think it would work, but it did. I had planned to line the cover with the same white solid fabric but didn’t want the dark thread ends or the quilting to show on the inside. So I only quilted through the patchwork and the wadding/batting and then lined it. I was concerned the inside of the machine would clog with fluff  but it didn’t so the inside looks as good as the outside I think.

My friend had no idea what I was making for her. In fact, I thought she might have seen the beginnings of the patchwork when she came to play in my sewing room but I got away with it. Phew!

I promise it won’t be so long before I post again.

Avis x

%d bloggers like this: