Hello everyone 🙂
It’s time for another reveal!
This time it is my variation on chevrons quilt. You may remember the quilt top I made last year.
Well, I decided in my infinite wisdom (not) that it would be a great idea to put a scrappy binding on this one. The reason was that the design was meant to use up an entire charm pack, no scraps. So I split the pack into darks and lights, teamed the lights with blue strip borders and the darks with ivory strip borders. Because of the numbers of darks and lights, I had three blue border strips and three ivory ones. A lack of symmetry!!! Oh no! Already overcome by the “lack of symmetry shakes”, I decided not to worry because the idea of using all the charm pack was still being adhered to. I also have an aversion to having leftover scraps, you see 🙂 So the scrappy border seemed like a good idea at the time. Wrong!!
Here is what it looked like after completely sewing by machine to the front and having about a quarter hand stitched to the back.
I really didn’t like it and I thought long and hard about frogging the whole binding. I was a bit miffed that I’d wasted the time making the binding and then got so far before deciding to take stock. I decided there was no way I could live with the binding and it would have to go. So, I frogged it this morning and attached a new one. That’s better 🙂
So, the alternating strip borders were the root of the problem. I thought a scrappy binding would blend well but it completely fought against the rest of the design. I quilted all over with a sort of elongated figure of eight squiggle in rows.
Every cloud has a silver lining, so they say 😀
Have a lovely day,